As Donald Trump has proven again and again, his biggest obstacle on the road to the White House is not Hillary Clinton — it’s his own mouth. He often speaks (or tweets) first, and thinks of the consequences later, making ridiculously offensive or inaccurate statements that he has to retract or clarify. That said, here’s our take on Trump’s 10 worst quotes from the presidential campaign. We tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and not take quotes out of context, or that were likely the result of his painfully awkward syntax. The following quotes pretty much speak for themselves.
10. “If and when the Vatican is attacked, the pope would only wish and have prayed that Donald Trump would have been elected president.”
— Trump said this after Pope Francis seemed to question his candidacy earlier this year. This is probably not the best way to attract Catholic voters.
9. “I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things.”
— Trump told MSNBC he consults himself first on foreign policy matters.
8. “Appreciate the congrats on being right on radical Islamic terrorism”
—Trump sent this self-congratulatory tweet just hours after the mass shooting in Orlando.
7. “I will, and the wall just got 10 feet taller, believe me.”
— Trump’s response when asked during a GOP debate if he stood by his vow to make Mexico pay for a wall along the U.S. border. Earlier that day, former Mexican president Vicente Fox had said, “I’m not going to pay for that f***ing wall.”
6. “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”
— Trump’s comments about Fox News’s Megyn Kelly after a GOP debate certainly didn’t help him with female voters.
5. “I would bring back waterboarding and I’d bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding.”
— We’re not sure what could be worse than waterboarding, a form of torture that has been denounced by not just human rights groups but U.S military leaders and CIA officials.
4. “If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say.”
— Trump’s comments about the mother of a U.S. soldier killed in Iraq angered veterans groups.
3. “Donald J Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States, until our country’s representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.”
— It’s one thing to call for tighter screening of immigrants, but to effectively paint all members of a religion as potential terrorists is the type of statement the political novice Trump should have avoided. He soon clarified his stance to say that ban should only apply to immigrants from “terrorist countries.”
2. “He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
— Trump’s thoughts on 2008 GOP presidential nominee John McCain, who spent more than five years as a POW in Vietnam.
1. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. … They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
— Without question, criminals and drug smugglers are among those venturing from Mexico across the U.S. Border, but this quote broadly indicted all Mexican immigrants. These comments were made during Trump’s announcement he would run for president.